Sunday, November 13, 2011

Feeling like an African Woman

Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyy guys what up??
For this week's post, I thought I'd talk about a Medley of things, becuase I don't really have one SOLID topic to go on about. So, the first thing (and freshest on my mind) is:
FEELING LIKE AN AFRICAN WOMAN:
So yesterday, my mom decided to take out her braids, which meant I spent a good portion of my day sitting behind her, and running my fingers through her hair, picking out those teensy weensy oh so numerous days, and while we did that, we were gossiping and talking about all sorts of things, and I couldn't help but to feel like a traditional/stereo-typical african woman. It was a postive experience, btw. I definately approve.
Another incident (event really) that had me feeling like a real African was when I got hungry yesterday, so I took some money, walked to the small shop in my neighbor hood (turn left when you get out of the house, and left again at the bigger road, walk about 2 blocks and presto! there it is!) anyhoo, so there i was at the boutique with some money and a hungry tummy, and I succesfully managed to buy a small loaf of bread, and 2 bags of milk (MILK!!! in BAGS!!!! could life get any better??) by speaking a mixture of French and Bambara. It was pretty awsome, to say the least, knowing that if I were lost in the streets, I'd still be able to feed myself out here :)
actually, you know what? Today's topic is FEELING LIKE AN AFRICAN WOMAN.
anyhoo back to the braids. So, while I was picking out my mom's braids, I was considering getting some myself. It would be a really cool thing to try (not to mention a different look, and a new experience!) but I'm really scared of the "after look" (that is the FrizzBomb that people call hair) I like my hair very non frizzy, and picked out braids...welp that doesn't equal nonfrizzy at all. So I'm hesitating on the braids...
A lot of teens get weaves too (like every week, they're sporting a new 'do) I probably wont go for the fake hair, but if I could find somebody here who straightens hair (non chemically too, gosh no, my hair!!!) that would make me feel semi-I AM AN AFRICAN WOMAN. Haha.
What I can't believe, is how much time has gone by. I've been here for over 2 months, which means I have about 2 months, and I'm back home again. I'm at the halfway point, and yet I feel that I've only now just begun to wrap my mind around african traditions, african concepts, african languages, everything african. And I'm thinking wow, I can't wait to go home and see y'all again, and see my friends and my family, but at the same time, I know that two more months isn't nearly enough, and I want MORE time. Oh, the confusion.
Welp, I guess that its for now, sorry no pictures this time, nor a good blog post. Maybe I'll try harder next time (ANDREA! YOU LAZY GOAT)
Love to each and every one of you :)
OH BEST WEEKEND EVER. I talked to my sister, and my "big brother" and my best friend. Could I honestly ask for more? (Actually, yes I could, but I prefer to appreciate than complain)

2 comments:

  1. Una experiencia mus significativa. Creo que cuatro meses es una ventana de tiempo suficiente por ahora.
    Hay mas tiempo que vida. Te envie un e-mail.
    Trata de contactarte, ya sea e-mail, telefono, facebook, o como sea.

    Carinos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you as an african woman. :) just don't abandon us, or get married yet. I totally miss you! I sent you emails, did you see 'em?? I wanna talk to you again!! Totally miss you (wow, I just said that three seconds ago x_x)!! LOVE YOUUU!!

    ReplyDelete