Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Second Blog Post...I Suck At Catchy Titles :/

Sooo, remarkably, I'm keeping up with my blog. It might be from the excitement of actually having a blog. I promise to write at least once a week... or at least I promise to try xD If those of you from Seattle don't mind reminding me, I'll be your personal slave. Or something less creepy...but its the idea that counts, right? I'm really liking the shout out idea, and now, I want to give a shout out to Macey, for supporting me 250% of the way. You don't know how much I appreciate it. I'm super stoked, especially because when I come back I'll be speaking French (albeit a different dialect of it) like a PRO! :D I know at first I was bummed because I really Really REALLY wanted to go to Morocco for a year, but I've come to realize that this is for the best. For one, I've never been out of the country before. Going away for a whole year is a bit daunting. Not to mention I would miss my family and my special (oh so special) friends <3 Plus, its my senior year. I'd hate to miss prom, hehe.
Some facts about Mali. The Official name is Republique du Mali (accent egu on the first e) and their official language is French. They also speak Bambara, and the students from 2 years ago picked up some of that, so I assume I'll come back knowing a few words, too (Yeah, Languages!!! \(^o^)/ ) The capital is Bamako (that's where I will be! Hence, the URL: to Bamako and back) and the Northern border is in the middle of the Sahara desert (did you know that Sahara means desert in Arabic? That means that we Americans call it the desert desert, everybody else just calls it the Sahara. We pronounce it wrong, too. Way to go us) Anyhoo, continuing my original thought, this means that I will be in the sun Sun SUN!!!!! (Bamako is actually in the South, but I still expect to get a tan when I come back teehee)
A little bit on Kenya: Their official languages are Swahili and English, but because I am ME, the wonderful (or should I say Amazing to keep up with the list of A words?) Andrea, I have been collecting words in Swahili. Did you know that they share some words with the Arabic language? An example is the word Tafadali. In Arabic, it gives permission (to a female) and in Swahili it means please. I thought it was interesting because although these two languages use the same language, they are used in almost opposite meanings. I also know that Jambo means Hi (LIKE WAKA WAKA!!!) Maybe when I'm in Kenya I can learn the meaning to the words in the song, and perhaps I can learn the dance too ;) That would be quite nice, don't you think?
Because this post is getting VERY long, I will stop here. I promise to try my hardest at posting at least once next week, and every week after that. Au Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment